Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Laid-back player lands cool cash

Mike Dunleavy could relax a little yesterday night, his contract situation was finally resolved. But apparently he was never really sweating it out with his calm demeanor.

His laid-back style fuels his critics. He cruises up and down the court wearing such a sleepy expression it appears as if he's not trying or doesn't care. It drives people crazy. Does this guy have a pulse?
He may have a sleepy expression because he's asleep on defense. Seriously, you can't be that bad on defense unless you have your eyes closed. Wait, I take that back, Stevie Wonder could probably play better defense than him.

Dunleavy has taken a lot of heat after being the Warriors' No. 3 overall pick in the 2002 NBA draft, but those critical voices will fade away the minute he adds the one ingredient that is most lacking in his game: consistency.

"You never like to hear negative things said about you, but you have to run your own race," Dunleavy said earlier in training camp. "I know I'll be the player everybody expects me to be, but I had to grow into that."
If he doesn't like negative things said about him, I guess he shouldn't read this site. Hey Mike, after this big contract, we expect a lot bigger things than what you did your first 3 years. Consistently play to the level of the last 20 or so games from last year, with or without Baron and you'll get your props.

"I'm not a big numbers guy," Dunleavy said. "Whether I score 10 points or 30 points, I think I can have a great game either way."
From the past 3 years, he's obviously not a big numbers guy (except for the extra undeserved zeroes on his contract). He shies away from putting up big numbers because it's all about the team. Yes if he had put up big numbers he would have a bigger contract, but he's trying to save the team money right? Or maybe if he had put up better numbers we wouldn't rip him so much. Or maybe...nevermind, this could go on and on.

"The addition of Baron was a huge help to me," Dunleavy said. "Everybody thinks about the game in a different way, and Baron and I think similarly.

"We connect. I don't even have to talk to him. We just make eye contact."
Note to Mike: Baron doesn't want to talk to you.


3 Comments:

At 5:31 PM, Blogger atma brother #1 said...

Realitybytes- If anything keeping Dunleavy around guarantees that we'll be the funniest Warriors site around for at least 4 more years!

MUHAHAHAHAHHAA!

 
At 7:42 PM, Blogger Hotspur said...

I wonder if the authors of this blog would notice if Dunleavy actually started playing well.

I mean, just in this preseason Mike D put in some solid defensive performances. At least once, this blog immdiately claimed he was missing at "both ends of the floor."

 
At 9:38 PM, Blogger atma brother #1 said...

hotspur- Great comment.

Dunleavy was actually awarded the Warrior Wonder for the preseason game against the Suns where he scored 30 points.

We do watch the games!

I missed the "solid defensive performances" though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home