Friday, November 11, 2005

Dunleavy Taking Charge

Mike Dunleavy is being more vocal (scroll to bottom of the article) on the court now as he gets settled into his 4th year in the league.
The Golden State Warriors were criticized for signing Mike Dunleavy to a five-year, $44 million extension, but the team felt it was important to show commitment to the fourth-year forward. The Warriors were impressed not only by Dunleavy's confidence on the court since the arrival of point guard Baron Davis last season, but also by his improving relationships with teammates. The two are not unrelated. "I'm more likely to speak up and say things now because I feel like my teammates respect me, but also because I feel like I know what I'm talking about,'' Dunleavy said.

Dunleavy rarely expressed himself during team discussions early in his career, with negative results: Too often he was as passive on the court as he was in the locker room. "It's tough when you're younger, because you don't know what your role is supposed to be,'' he said, referring to the social hierarchy of the team. "I'm going into my fourth year and I'm feeling like I'm one of the older guys who wants to take the responsibility. But I also think I can help the younger guys out because I know what's going on, and that's probably how I've changed.''

During the fourth quarter of the Warriors' 110-103 victory at Milwaukee on Tuesday, Dunleavy was seen directing a teammate into position to help rebound during a Bucks free throw -- a minor deed for most players, but a significant breakthrough for someone who used to remain silent.
I'm glad he's being more vocal and helping the team that way. We all know he's not helping in scoring, rebounding, passing, or defense.


1 Comments:

At 9:11 AM, Blogger atma brother #1 said...

He is helping us get funny pictures though!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home