Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Dunleavy Getting Stronger


Hopefully point guards can no longer
post up Dun.

``Want me to take my shirt off?'' Dunleavy joked. ``That will sell some tickets.''

As part of his offseason workout regimen, Mike Jr. is getting stronger.

The slender Dunleavy, of course, is never going to have the sort of chiseled physique that graces the covers of muscle magazines. But after a rigorous strength-training program this summer, Dunleavy has more noticeable definition, especially in his arms. And although Dunleavy said he's the same size he was last season -- 6-foot-9 1/2, 227 pounds -- he just looks bigger.

``I've learned that with my body type, I'm never going to be a bulky guy, so I'm trying to build my strength in a way that doesn't limit quickness,'' Dunleavy said. ``I need to be stronger because I plan on going down in the low post more.''

This is good to read about since he's so weak. Hopefully he does lots of squats because you need strong hamstrings and quads to sit on the bench for long stretches at a time. No really, this should help him mix it up more and grab more boards. But I wonder how the shot is coming along. He has improved his shooting percentages each year, and it would be great to know that this great shooter can actually become a great shooter.

What do you think, will increased strength help Dunleavy or does he need to go concentrate on another part of his game?


6 Comments:

At 12:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is good to read about since he's so weak. Hopefully he does lots of squats because you need strong hamstrings and quads to sit on the bench for long stretches at a time. No really, this should help him mix it up more and grab more boards.


HAHAHAHA- hillarious. Great job keeping real on the Great White Nope that Dunnuthin is.

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger Fantasy Junkie said...

you know what? i hope dunleavy does prove us all wrong. i would love to be wrong about dunleavy because that would mean the warriors actually get some production out of the #3 pick and he won't be considered a flop. i've always hoped he would fulfill the hype surrounding him on draft day because that would greatly benefit the warriors. but sadly that's all it was, hype, nothing else.

 
At 2:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's good that he's getting stronger but I feel that his glaring problem has been more mental than anything else. He just disappears instead of asserting himself.

If Dunleavy ever develops into a true sniper and add his smarts and ball handling, he would make an ideal complementary player to Jason and Baron.

 
At 7:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's funny that a guy 6'9-6'10 can't post up ALREADY on smaller players. This guy couldn't post up on Andre Miller last year. Nothing against Andre Miller, but damn... if you're 5 inches taller and probably 15 pounds heavier i would hope that you could do something. Dunleavy is fuckin' weak.

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger atma brother #1 said...

i hope dunleavy blows up... so we can trade him!

 
At 10:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Dunleavy was misquoted. Here's what he actually said:

``I've learned that with my body type, I'm ALWAYS GOING TO BE A LITTLE GIRL, so I'm trying to build my strength in a way that doesn't limit MY BITCHNESS,'' Dunleavy said. ``I need to be stronger because I plan on going down LOW more.''

Whoa! What an assertive woman!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home